Explore best practices and innovative ideas together
Join us in Wichita, KS, for the Central Plains Regional Conference!
Keynote Speaker - Opening Session
Keynote Speaker - Opening Session Details
Julia Fabris McBride is vice president of the Kansas Leadership Center, a certified coach, and co-author, with Chris Green of “Teaching Leadership: Case-in-Point, Case Teaching, and Coaching.” At KLC, she oversees teacher and coach development and has created three professional certification programs for leadership developers, including an International Coach Federation (ICF)-approved Leadership Coach training program, and a Case-in-Point Intensive and Certification that has drawn people to Wichita from four continents.
Before joining KLC (and while wrapping up a fun and varied career as an actor in Chicago) Julia taught leadership and management at the University of Chicago, Columbia College Chicago, University of Massachusetts and the James P. Shannon Leadership Institute. She holds a certificate in leadership from the University of Chicago’s Graham School of General Studies and completed the Art and Practice of Leadership Development (taught by Marty Linsky, Ron Heifetz and Robert Kegan) at Harvard’s Kennedy School. She is certified to facilitate the Myers-Briggs (MBTI) and Immunity to Change processes, and trained executives and high potentials at organizations such as Microsoft and United Way of America.
Julia has traveled as far afield as Melbourne, Australia, and Yangon, Mynamar, to teach and share the KLC ideas, first among them the principle that leadership is an activity, available to anyone, anytime, anywhere. She graduated Summa Cum Laude from Case Western Reserve University and holds a diploma (signed by Sir John Geilgud) from the Royal Academy of Dramatic Art. Julia lives with her husband, sculptor Bill McBride, and their young son in Matfield Green, Kansas, in the heart of the Flint Hills tallgrass prairie. She serves on the board for the Chase County school district and is a Lifetime Member of the Girl Scouts of the Kansas Heartland.
Conference Schedule Details
Sunday, April 8, 2018
- 4:00 p.m. Registration at Kansas Leadership Center
- 5:00 p.m. - 6:30 p.m. Tour & Reception at Kansas Leadership Center
- 7:30 p.m. Five restaurant choices with reservations (your cost)
Monday, April 9, 2018
- 7:00 a.m. - 8:30 a.m. Registration at KLC
- 7:00 a.m. - 8:30 a.m. Breakfast in lobby at KLC
- 8:30 a.m. - 9:30 a.m. Opening Session with Keynote Speaker
- Julia Fabris McBride, VP KLC
- Leadership Starts with You!
- Leadership Starts with You!
- Julia Fabris McBride, VP KLC
- 9:30 a.m. - 9:45 a.m. Break
- 9:45 a.m. - 11:45 a.m. BREAKOUT SESSIONS - Three Tracks
- Track I. Equipping You to Lead (training & teaching staff to facilitate and lead a leadership program)
- Track II. Alumni/Civic Engagement (Inclusive and productive conversations around difficult topics, including civil discourse, fostering civic involvement, and engaging your class members and alumni)
- Track III. Making a Difference (benchmarking, measuring impact, partnering for impact, diversity recruiting)
- 12:00 p.m. - 1:30 p.m. Lunch Buffet & Round Table discussions with networking
- 1:45 p.m. - 3:15 p.m. Breakout Session Continuation
- 3:15 p.m. - 3:30 p.m. Break
- 3:30 p.m. - 4:45 p.m. Breakout Session Continuation
- 4:45 p.m. - 5:00 p.m. Wrap up and Closing Remarks
♦ Dinner gathering (TBD) for those staying over Tuesday, April 10, 2018
Tuesday, April 10, 2018
Post Conference – Continuance of "Equipping You to Lead" Add-on: $200
April 9th 8:30 a.m. - 4:45 p.m.
Session Leaders Details
Jessie Baginski, OHSession Track II: Alumni/Civic Engagement; Best Practices - 1:45 p.m. - 3:15 p.m.
Shelly Hansel, KLCSession Track I: Equipping You to Lead - Presenting all sessions
Don Harkey, KSSession Track III: Make a Difference; Diversity as a Core Value - 1:45 p.m.- 3:15 p.m.
Harriet Harral, PhD., TXSession Track III: Make A Difference; Partnering and Leveraging Community Resources - 3:30 p.m.- 4:45 p.m.
Juliann Jankowski, INSession: Track III: Make a Difference; Measuring Outcomes for ROI - 9:45 a.m. – 11:45 a.m.
Amy Jennings, IASession Track III: Make a Difference; Diversity as a Core Value - 1:45 p.m.- 3:15 p.m.
Jonathan Long, KSSession Track III: Make a Difference; Diversity as a Core Value - 1:45 p.m.- 3:15 p.m.
Nicole Morristell, PASession Track II: Alumni/Civic Engagement; Connect & Engage - 3:30 p.m. - 4:45 p.m.
Lei Ann Reeves, TXSession Track II: Alumni/Civic Engagement; Best Practices - 1:45 p.m. - 3:15 p.m.
Shaun Rojas, KLCSession Track II: Alumni/Civic Engagement; A New Initiative in Crucial Civil Discourse & Civic Involvement - 9:45 a.m. - 11:45 a.m.
Becky Wolfe, KSSession Track II: Alumni/Civic Engagement; Connect & Engage - 3:30 p.m. - 4:45 p.m.
Post Conference Workshop
Post Conference Workshop Details
By attending day two of Equipping You to Lead, you’ll join others from all sectors and levels of authority with a common aspiration: to equip more people to move forward on what you care about within your organization, your business or your community.
This program is for you if you want to:
- Improve your ability to lead a team meeting to make progress on a specific challenge.
- Teach the KLC Competencies in your local Community Leadership Program.
- Assist your staff or colleagues in making and holding multiple interpretations about what else might be going on in the workplace.
Remember leadership starts with you but must engage others. Learn how to equip others to join you in your leadership challenge.
Post-conference $200. 8:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
Registration add-on can be found in the "Optional Add-ons:" section during registration.
Hotel Information Details
Ambassador Hotel Wichita, Autograph Collection
104 South Broadway Street
Wichita KS 67202
Room rate $119
Reserve a stylish and sophisticated stay at Ambassador Hotel Wichita, Autograph Collection. Our boutique-inspired hotel features upscale rooms and suites with contemporary décor, complimentary Wi-Fi and stunning downtown views, perfect for pursuing business or leisure.
Conference Planning Committee
Conference Planning Committee Details
Shelley Hansel, KLC, KS
Shaun Rojas, KLC, KS
Lynn Farmer, Leadership Macon, GA
Kay Fitzsimons, Leadership North Houston, TX
Harriet Harral, Leadership Fort Worth, TX
Becky Seelen, Leadership Eau Clair, WI
Jo Ellen Carson, ALP
Lura Hammond, ALP
Leadership Programs Attending
Leadership Programs Attending Details
- Edmond Area Chamber of Commerce - OK
- Greater Baltimore LEADERship - MD
- Greater Des Moines Leadership Institute - ID
- Griff Hall Strategic Leadership - MD
- Hall County Leadership Unlimited, Inc - NE
- Kansas Leadership Center - KS
- Leadership Cedar Rapids - IA
- Leadership Denver - CO
- Leadership Emporia - KS
- Leadership Fort Smith - AR
- Leadership Fort Worth - TX
- Leadership Greater Enid - OK
- Leadership Greater Topeka - KS
- Leadership Greenville - SC
- Leadership Hastings - NE
- Leadership Lackawanna - PA
- Leadership Lake County - OH
- Leadership Manhattan - NY
- Leadership Montgomery County - TX
- Leadership Plano - TX
- Leadership Pocatello-Chubbuck Assoc. - ID
- Leadership Sandy Springs - GA
- Leadership South Bend/Mishawaka - IN
- Leadership Tennessee - TN
- Leadership Tulsa - OK
- Leadership Twin Cities - MN
- Leadership Warren County - OH
- MetroTex Leadership Academy - TX
- West Houston Leadership Institute - TX
- Youth Leadership Initiative - VA